Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Monday, June 6, 2005

Illini descend on Futures (Daily Democrat Online )

--Illini descend on Futures-- Daily Democrat Online -- Only too happy to post any story whose first two words are Brad Dancer, the associate head coach of the University of Illinois. I didn't know Brad late last summer, when he suffered serious injuries in an automobile accident while transporting Illinois team members to a tournament much like the one in this story. He seemed completely recovered when I met him at the ITA Individual Indoor Championships in Ann Arbor in November, and I've since seen him at nearly all the junior and college tournaments I've covered--scouting at the former, coaching at the latter.
Dancer
I've already posted several stories on the Illinois tennis program, so I will only briefly reiterate my admiration for it. Players get better there, which is the bottom line when talk turns to whether college tennis is a viable route for a promising junior.

Ryler DeHeart, who earned a main draw berth by winning the wild card event, I've known for a long time, as far back as his Florida sectional days when he won a designated junior event while I was running the desk. GD Jones and Kevin Anderson both competed in the US Open Jrs. last year, and I have seen them play some great collegiate tennis several times this year.

I hope Jones and Anderson, who, with DeHeart, have all played in the number one position at Illinois, qualify here and continue to perform well this summer while playing in the minor leagues. Not because the Illinois program needs any more visibility, but because college tennis does.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will be interesting to see where the Illinois program goes now that Craig Tiley is leaving.

Colette Lewis said...

I've heard that rumor too, but have not been able to confirm it.