Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Monday, May 16, 2005

Albom probe shows no pattern of deception (Detroit Free Press)

Albom probe shows no pattern of deception --
Though I've managed to learn (my Italian is getting better) that Donald Young lost in the first round of the Grade A Italian Open to Pavel Chekhov today, I can't find any English-language story to link to. Besides, I am more intrigued by this story on one of my sportswriting idols, Mitch Albom. I didn't hear much about this when it happened, as I was immersed in the Easter Bowl at the time, but my brother clued me in a few days later. The whole thing seems a bit hysterical to me, and the irony of the proliferation of blogs that have absolutely no standards versus the very exacting ones at newspapers these days is inescapable. Of course, when a sportswriter makes a mistake, nobody riots in Afghanistan.

I have some journalism training, mostly on-the-job, or on-the- internship, more accurately, as my exposure to daily newspapers came while I was in college. So I try to attribute quotes and use datelines correctly and quote as accurately as I can. I don't have an editor, of course, so it's solely my judgment and I don't have a written code of ethics to follow. (I'd love to have a copy of the Free Press version). But I do have an abiding regard for the truth and a belief that it is my obligation to get things right.

Do I think Albom made a mistake? Yes. But he didn't try to cover it up and he did apologize for it. Is he suffering from the arrogance of the talented, at the pinnacle of a profession? Maybe. I'd have to actually know him to take a stab at that one. But when the athletes and coaches that you cover every day stick up for you, and so do fellow rich-and-famous columnists like Michael Wilbon, that speaks volumes. It's time for everyone involved in this to learn from it yes, but let's move on.

0 comments: